For many decades now in Tanzania, the focus for high school graduates awaiting their University placements, has been basic IT courses and for some Driving lessons. Whilst this is wholly appropriate way to pass time as the youngsters are preparing for the next stage of their Education journey, there is a need to consider skills development in preparation for the rapidly changing career landscape globally, as we continue to witness the 4th Industrial Revolution unfold before our eyes. With Industrialisation high up on the National agenda, and the National Development Strategy clearly highlighting Skills gap as being the main barrier to reaching the national targets, there is a compelling case to be made for using every available opportunity to upskill the youth and ensure that no-one is left behind.
It is with this in mind that the Launchpad has organised a 6 Weeks Skills Development Camp which will run between the 22nd July to 30th August 2019 with the aim to equip the young adults with Entrepreneurial and Employability Skills.
The objective is to provide a bespoke programme which will be of practical and dynamic nature as opposed to just theoretical knowledge. Interactive class discussions and guest speakers will challenge the participants to think critically about social issues and motivate them to be a change-maker for their communities. Participants will design their own social venture in order to gain the experience of building an effective organization from the ground up. We envisage the programs to empower young social entrepreneurs to leverage their resources and find creative solutions to key social issues in their communities and around the globe
There will be a series of hands-on workshops throughout which are aimed at developing communication skills, build confidence and challenge participants to think on their feet. These active and engaging sessions will teach participants real-world tools that they will need for success irrespective of their career choices. By the end of the program, participants will have a better understanding of their personal leadership style and have stronger public speaking, writing, problem solving and critical thinking skills.The Curriculum:
The Programme has been designed by a consortium of professionals from different industries (Enterprise, Academia and Employers) under the leadership of a Curriculum expert with over 20 years experience in Education leadership including policy reforms and innovative skills strategy for pre-university students in the UK. This has enabled us to create a broad and balanced curriculum which upholds the local context but also provides the right balance of Regional and Global contexts. The Curriculum design is based on 5 Competencies (main pillars) which promote Entreprenurial, Employment and Leadership skills. It is important to highlight that through the design of the programme, participants will gain soft skills implicitly as part of the practical activities that will form a major part of the workshops.
These are explained below: Research & Discovery
Participants will learn how to use best research practices to discover and examine today’s pressing social issues and the companies and organizations taking steps to address them. Participants will be required to find out what is already being done and effectiveness. They will then be expected to provide a plan of how their venture will make a greater impact. Operations & Logistics
What will you need to implement a focused project? Participants will develop critical thinking and problem- solving skills as they face operational challenges with their project teammates. The use of interactive games and exercises will strengthen their creative thinking before they plan and execute their venture on campus. Marketing
Participants will get an opportunity to listen to guest speakers discuss how they built brand awareness for their ventures and causes. They will also learn how to communicate their message effectively using social media and other emerging marketing and advertising tools. Finance
Participants will design realistic financial models and gain effective strategies for fundraising. Working within a team, participants will create and present budgets for the venture project and role-play interviews and pitches to potential investors and/or donors. Sustainability & Scalability
Participants will discuss ways to build sustainable and scalable business models. They will study and compare successful and growing ventures and apply these lessons to their own venture plan. Final project Task:
The culmination of the program will be the Business Pitch Competition, which will be attended by invitees from local and national organisations, as well as guest judges from the Employers association of Tanzania and members of the Business community. To be successful, teams must present a well-considered business plan as well as leverage their narrative and public speaking skills developed on the program.
Participants will be divided up into social entrepreneur teams (three or four students per team) to brainstorm and create a new, viable social venture. Each team will be challenged to select a community concern, whether local or national, and develop a solution that is environmentally sustainable, socially positive and financially viable.Learning Themes:
The schemes of learning will revolve around 5 main Entrepreneurial themes: All activities in the scheme of learning will be based on practical examples for the chosen theme. Participants will learn about the basic theory around the 5 competencies but will be expected to apply the theory to fit their chosen area of interest (theme).
- Creativity (Arts, Crafts and Fashion)
- Catering and Food Processing/Packaging
- Innovation and ICT
- Green Economy
- Secondary school leavers of all ages who have completed either the O’ Level or A’ level examinations.
- Students attending or those who have completed vocational qualifications which have the equivalence of the General Certificate of secondary school.
- Good levels of Numeracy and Literacy.
- Positive mind set and willing to learn and share new ideas with others.
- Good conduct and discipline with a cooperative attitude to learning.
Tariff and Payment methods:
- The full cost for the 6 weeks will be 400,000 TZS per participant. This will include Learning resources, materials, tuition, guidance, coaching and certification.
- A 20% non-refundable deposit will be required to secure a place in the program. 100% of the fee must be paid at least 2 weeks before the course begins.
- Payments by installments will be considered if requested; all payments must be made in full prior to the commencement of the course. Please contact us to discuss this option if you wish to be considered.
Terms and Conditions:
- All applications must be submitted through the registration form which is provided via a link in our website. All mandatory sections of the form must be filled in for the application to be considered.
- All applications must be received by the designated deadline. Failure to submit the form in time may lead to your application being rejected.
- All applications must be accompanied with the 20% non-refundable deposit (80,000); this is to deter time-wasters and ensure serious applicants are not missing out on this golden opportunity to develop themselves.
- Payments will only be accepted if made through the specified channels; The Launchpad Bank Account or the official designated Mobile payment numbers.
- Applicants may be subjected to an interview prior to being accepted in the program.
- Good character and discipline is a non-negotiable and as such the Launchpad reserves the right to withdraw a candidate’s place if they fail to conform to the agreed Code of Conduct. In the unfortunate event of this occurring, the course fee will not be refunded.
The training will be held at the Launchpad House, Plot 12, Asmara Street, Mikocheni Dar es Salaam from 10AM-3PM.